- iPad® app launches as VW’s performance icon arrives at U.S. dealerships
- Six-generations of popular Golf models come alive with interactive application
- Exclusive footage highlights passion and enthusiasm for Volkswagen brand
With the arrival of its performance icon to U.S. dealerships this month, Volkswagen announced today that it is bringing the all-new 2012 Golf R to a mass audience via an iPad® app. Created with the enthusiast community in mind, the “Golf R Drivers Forever” app provides access to everything one needs to know about the Golf R. From the history of the popular Golf model and the community that rallies around it, to the focused engineers of Volkswagen R GmbH, this app covers it all.
Told through the perspective of Volkswagen enthusiasts and drivers who helped bring this car to the United States, the app provides an interactive narrative on the evolution of the Golf from its days as the Rabbit in the 1970’s all the way to the present 2012 Golf R model. Filled with exclusive interviews, articles and footage, this is one app all Volkswagen fans will want to interact with.
“The Golf R app was created to celebrate and thank the Volkswagen brand’s community of enthusiasts because they represent what makes the Golf R special,”said Jon Browning, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “The app will help build awareness around the Volkswagen brand heritage and we are excited to offer this innovative approach that illustrates the performance of the Golf R.”
The editorial-driven iPad app features:
- Exclusive videos, photos, interviews and Golf footage. Highlights include:
- A mini-documentary about the world of Volkswagen including footage of the world-famous Autostadt, created by AWOL Films
- An exclusive interview with designer Chip Foose discussing his passion for the VW brand and love for the Golf
- Accounts from key members of the Volkswagen of America Product Marketing team and Volkswagen R GmbH team
- Fan testimonials and enthusiast stories
- Interactive timeline spanning the history of the Golf
- Golf R brochure with tech specs, photo gallery and 360° view of the car
The “Golf R Drivers Forever” iPad app launches in the iTunes App Store on January 17, 2012 and is free to download. You may download the app here: Golf R iPad app
The 2012 Golf R is the most powerful Volkswagen sports performance vehicle ever sold in the U.S. With 256 horsepower and 243 pound-feet of torque, the 2.0-liter TSI® engine offers performance and fuel efficiency, thanks to intelligent downsizing. Like the previous R32 models, the Golf R is equipped with Volkswagen’s 4Motion® all-wheel drive system: the latest generation of this system can divert up to 100 percent of the torque to the rear wheels, if needed. All Golf R models sold in the U.S. will be equipped with a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission and come standard with top of the line features including dual-zone automatic climate control, Bi-Xenon headlamps and LED daytime running lights, and unique 18” alloy wheels. For the first time, the Golf R will be available in two-and four-door models.