· Addition of exciting five-door bodystyle to Range Rover Evoque line-up
· Bold exterior captures coupe design, with the same compact footprint and slightly higher roofline for enhanced versatility
· Premium cabin, with the enhanced space and practicality of the five-door format
· Permanent all-wheel drive combined with turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a six-speed auto transmission deliver performance and minimized fuel consumption
· All-new 240bhp* 2.0-liter Si4 turbocharged engine combining six-cylinder refinement and performance with four-cylinder fuel economy
· Dynamic and agile handling across varied terrain, available with Adaptive Dynamics featuring MagneRide™
· All-weather, multi-terrain capability with patented Land Rover Terrain Response®
· Innovative Range Rover technologies, including 8-inch (203mm) touch-screen display and Surround Camera System
· To be sold in 160 countries worldwide, with North American deliveries from Fall 2011
· Indicative pricing starting from around $45,000
With its stylish and sporting appearance, combined with larger interior space, the five-door Range Rover Evoque joins the stunning coupe model to create a highly desirable line-up that will define the premium compact SUV segment.
Like the coupe, the five-door Range Rover Evoque remains faithful to the spirit of the groundbreaking Land Rover LRX concept car, offering an innovative new interpretation of the original coupe design.
The five-door Range Rover Evoque also stays true to the core values of the Range Rover brand, providing premium levels of craftsmanship, luxury, performance and renowned Land Rover multi-terrain capability, but in a more compact package.
“The addition of the five-door to the Range Rover Evoque line-up extends the appeal of our brand still further,” said Land Rover’s Managing Director Phil Popham.
“While retaining everything that’s great about the Range Rover Evoque coupe, this new five-door bodystyle will offer customers even more choice, greater practicality, versatility and flexibility. The launch of the Range Rover Evoque in 2011 will expand the global appeal of the Range Rover marque."
Coupe style and five-door versatility
The five-door Range Rover Evoque offers an exciting new interpretation of the LRX concept car design, combining the dramatic stance and dynamic appeal of the original cross-coupe with the enhanced functionality offered by a five-door format.
“The five-door Range Rover Evoque has the same strong emotional appeal as the coupe, while offering superior versatility,” said Land Rover Design Director, Gerry McGovern.
“The key lines remain intact – the dramatic rising beltline, muscular shoulder running the length of the car, and the distinctive taper to the floating roofline – but with a slightly higher rear roof. The finished vehicle offers impressive levels of space and versatility whilst retaining the overall essence, visual robustness and jewel-like detailing of the coupe.”
The more spacious interior of the five-door Range Rover Evoque has been achieved without enlarging the compact footprint of the coupe model: the overall length and width remain identical.
Like the coupe, smart design, meticulous engineering and clever packaging has ensured that the five-door Range Rover Evoque delivers the core Range Rover values of luxury, refined performance and multi-terrain capability while remaining true to the spirit of the LRX concept design.
Impeccably crafted luxury interior
Beneath its dramatic exterior, the five-door Range Rover Evoque provides customers with an impeccably crafted luxury cabin, with the same premium quality materials and elegant design expected from a Range Rover interior.
Gerry McGovern continued, "The strong, simple architecture of the cabin is evident with the bold intersection between the solid horizontal elements of the instrument panel and the powerful vertical lines of the center console."
The Range Rover Evoque allows customers to specify a lavishly appointed cabin with soft, premium leather providing a luxurious finish to almost every surface of the instrument panel, doors and seats, with beautifully tailored twin-needle stitching.
In bold contrast to the supple feel of natural hides, authentic metal finishes provide a series of striking highlights. Cool to the touch and exquisitely crafted, the metal finishes are a tactile and visual reminder of the superior interior quality.
The instrument cluster, housed under a compact curved binnacle, adds to the sporty, premium feel of the interior. The twin dials have an attractive three dimensional form with illuminated chaplets and needles, and are set deep in sport circular housings finished with bright chrome rims.
Total comfort and versatility
Measuring 1.18 inches (30mm) taller than the coupe model, the five-door Range Rover Evoque adds space and versatility to the luxurious cabin. Rear seat passengers benefit from over 1.97 inches (50mm) more shoulder room, along with generous headroom, which compares very favorably to traditional sporting sedans.
A full-sized glass panoramic roof enhances the sensation of space and comfort by filling the interior with natural light, and offers greater headroom for all occupants.
The rear seats, with seat belts and head restraints for three passengers, have 60/40 folding rear seats and are equipped with LATCH child seat mounts. When required, luggage capacity can be expanded to a substantial 51 cubic ft (1445 liters).
The driver adopts a lower seating position than in one of the larger Range Rover models offering a more sporting feel but retaining the important Command Driving Position.
Dynamic handling and effortless, refined performance
Land Rover engineers have developed the five-door Range Rover Evoque to provide customers with a polished driving experience combining dynamic and sporty handling with responsive, effortless performance and refinement.
Murray Dietsch, Director of Land Rover Programs said, "The five-door Range Rover Evoque has the same sporting character as the Coupe. We have focused on ensuring that the car is agile and fun to drive, so that customers have a rewarding experience, even in day-to-day urban driving. Advanced technologies such as MagneRide mean we can ensure that this dynamic prowess does not come at the cost of top-quality refinement or comfort."
The car can be specified with the sophisticated Adaptive Dynamics system, which uses advanced MagneRide™ dampers to provide an enhanced balance of confident, nimble handling with a supple, controlled ride. The suspension delivers even tighter body control with flatter handling and sharper responses.
As expected in a Range Rover, the five-door Range Rover Evoque delivers all-weather, multi-terrain capability. In common with its larger siblings, the new model provides formidable multi-terrain potential, which is enhanced by the latest version of the company’s signature Terrain Response® system.
Drivers who take their Range Rover Evoque off-road will be reassured to know that, in addition to generous ground clearance, the car has aggressive breakover and departure angles.
The five-door Range Rover Evoque shares its smooth and responsive turbocharged powertrain with the Coupe model. The advanced new 240bhp* 2.0-liter Si4 turbocharged engine combines direct fuel injection and twin variable valve timing for drivability and fuel efficiency, and an athletic 0-60 mph in 7.1 seconds*.
Murray Dietsch continued, "The state-of-the-art four-cylinder turbocharged engine combines
six-cylinder refinement and performance with impressive fuel economy. This efficiency has been achieved by the commitment of the product development team to deliver a compact and weight efficient product, with no compromise on durability and robustness."
Commitment to sustainability
With the same compact footprint and advanced technologies as the coupe model, the five-door Range Rover Evoque reinforces Land Rover’s commitment to environmental sustainability. The Range Rover Evoque is the smallest, lightest, most fuel-efficient Range Rover ever.
The new vehicle's sustainability credentials stem from a comprehensive approach to reducing its environmental impact throughout the product lifecycle, from development and manufacturing, through to customer use and end-of-life recycling.
Key product innovations which drive its greener performance include:
· Compact size – at 171-inches (434cm) the five-door Range Rover Evoque vehicle is 17 inches (432mm) shorter than a Range Rover Sport vehicle and sits around 6 inches (152mm) lower
· Lightweight technologies – advanced materials used throughout the body and chassis
· Efficient powertrain – state-of-the-art, with high-efficiency features like direct injection
· Low CO2 technologies – incorporating electric power assisted steering (EPAS), smart regenerative charging and optimized transmissions
· Recycling and re-use - maximizing use of sustainable and recycled materials, plus optimizing end-of-life recyclability
Distinctively Range Rover Evoque
Range Rover designers and engineers have developed a host of distinctive and innovative features, to ensure the five-door Range Rover Evoque stands out from the crowd.
Lighting plays a big part in the distinctive appeal of the Range Rover Evoque. First to catch the eye is the powerful signature graphic in the front running lights, created by innovative LED
light-blade technology. A similar graphic is repeated in the LED rear lights, with their jewel-like 3D petal design.
Approach the vehicle at night, and you will also see a bold graphic alongside the front doors, illuminated by the ‘approach lights’ which shine from the mirrors.
More special touches greet you when you enter the car. The interior displays come to life with a choreographed animated start-up sequence, while the rotary auto shifter completes the ‘greeting’ as it rises silently into the driver’s hand.
LED ambient lighting provides sophisticated and precise illumination within the cabin, with a range of colors which can be chosen by the driver to suit their mood. Select Dynamic Mode, and a sporting red color scheme fills the interior as well as in the instrument dials and cluster display.
To complete the range of features, the first panoramic roof ever fitted to a Range Rover vehicle can be specified, providing an all-round vista which helps to make every journey a special occasion.
The five-door Range Rover Evoque follows the coupe model by offering customers the choice of three main vehicle design themes, each with its own distinctive character, exterior treatment and carefully coordinated interior packages. The three vehicle design themes are:
· Pure – combining the stunning concept-car exterior with stylish, clean interiors in neutral colors to highlight the pure, simple forms of the cabin architecture. Soft-touch, wrapped materials on the major surfaces contrast with the real-metal brushed aluminum trim.
· Prestige – ultimate Range Rover luxury, combining a bespoke exterior with unique, standard 19-inch wheels, plus an optional 20-inch wheel, and sparkling metallic details with an indulgent interior which is almost entirely leather wrapped. Luxurious duo-tone color schemes, with premium leather, twin-needle stitching and real wood and metal finishes.
· Dynamic – bold exterior with available 20-inch wheels and unique bumpers, sills, grille and tailpipes for a more assertive, confident stance. A premium sports interior with perforated leather seats and unique sports detailing are included. Contrasting roof and spoiler colors are available as a personalization option.
Packed with premium technologies
Like the coupe model, the five-door Range Rover Evoque benefits from the same comprehensive selection of the latest technologies as the larger Range Rover models, in terms of controls, connectivity, comfort and convenience for all occupants.
From the driver's viewpoint, the Range Rover Evoque is distinguished by a carefully conceived system of controls and displays which combines a stylish, uncluttered layout, state-of-the-art functionality and ease-of-use.
At the heart of the control system is the Range Rover brand’s 8-inch (203mm) high-definition touch-screen display with its crisp graphics and simple, intuitive menu structure.
Tech-savvy customers get the connectivity they demand with a comprehensive package that includes Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone use and audio streaming, plus a range of USB and auxiliary inputs for iPod® and other portable devices.
The Range Rover Evoque is the first Range Rover to offer breathtaking new sound systems developed in partnership with the high-end audio specialists
Other features available to five-door Range Rover Evoque customers include:
· Surround Camera System with five digital cameras, including a reversing system
· Hard drive navigation system
· Sirius® tuners and HD Digital Radio tuners in addition to AM/FM
· Rear seat entertainment package, with 8-inch (203 mm) video screens, digital wireless headphones and touch screen remote control
· Passive keyless entry system
· Powered tailgate
· Xenon adaptive headlamps with auto headlamp dipping
· Heated windshield, front seats and steering wheel
Sold in 160 markets worldwide from Fall 2011
Both coupe and five-door models of the Range Rover Evoque will be manufactured at Land Rover's multi-award winning Halewood plant in
Phil Popham said, “The launch of the Range Rover Evoque is a significant step forward for the Range Rover brand. This groundbreaking car brings new excitement and broader relevance to the brand, but remains true to the values of premium luxury and performance which have made Range Rover such an enduring success story over the past 40 years.”