Slaby-Beringer electric car innovative and revolutionary in its day

Written By:
Photography by: Audi AG
Slaby Beringer Electric Car Front 3Q View
Slaby Beringer Electric Car Front 3Q View Source Audi AG
Image Gallery
Slaby Beringer Electric Car Front 3Q View Slaby Beringer Electric Car Side View Slaby Beringer Electric Car Rear 3Q View Slaby Beringer Electric Car Front 3Q Slaby Beringer Electric Car Rear 3Q Slaby Beringer Electric Car Interior
Slaby Beringer Electric Car Interior Slaby Beringer Electric Car Front Close Up

The Slaby-Beringer electric car, which appeared in 1919, was both innovative and revolutionary. This also applies to the new Audi urban concept, which interprets “electric mobility” systematically for a future urban environment. With its use of Audi ultra technology it ensures not only efficient transport, but also a sporty performance.

Dr. Rudolf Slaby built a small electrically propelled car for his personal use in 1919. The design aroused such interest that he decided, together with Hermann Beringer, to establish a company and begin volume production of the car.

An initial order for 100 cars was received from the Berlin-based company owned by Jörgen Skafte Rasmussen, the Zschopau industrialist and founder of the DKW company. Difficulties with companies supplying components and signs that inflation was about to devalue the currency made Rasmussen anxious that his high deposit payment could become worthless. He therefore decided to take a one-third interest in the car’s manufacturer, SB–Automobilgesellschaft m.b.H.

257 single-seat electric cars were built in the first business year, from November 1, 1919 to October 31, 1920. Of these, Rasmussen took 64; the remaining 36 from his original order for 100 cars were repurchased by SB-Automobilgesellschaft. 80 of the cars were equipped with Levy motors; thereafter the SB-Automobilgesellschaft began to produce its own electric motors.

The electric car was initially equipped with a 12-cell, 24-Volt battery. From 1921 on, an order from Japan made it necessary to offer the car with a battery of larger capacity. The number of cells was therefore increased to 18. In addition to the 200 cars intended for Japan, which were paid for in “hard” currency by a London bank, the company sold a further 137 electrically powered single-seat cars and 77 sidecars with increased battery capacity on the domestic market.

Follow-up orders from Japan were as much as the manufacturer could handle. Midway through 1923, however, inflation reached such a level in the German Reich that deposit payments from foreign accounts were blocked. In July 1923 the company had no choice but to temporarily stop manufacturing the single-and two-seat versions of the electric car, despite ample stocks in hand and a full order book.

When a fresh start was made in the fall of 1923, the electric car was joined by an SB car with a DKW motorcycle engine.

Comments

Porsche PDK success story: a bestseller in just five years
Porsche PDK success story: a bestseller in just five years

In 1980s, Porsche developed a world first in automotive technology for use in races and thus won the race: the dual-clutch transmission...

Apple and Ferrari
Apple and Ferrari

Apple and Ferrari are two top brands, known worldwide beyond their fields. Now they started working together on products. ...

Brembo
Brembo "Extrema" Caliper

Well known as a benchmark setter in the field of brake systems, Brembo has always been synonymous with performance and innovation: concepts perfectly reflected in the new brake system designed for the supercar "Made in Maranello...

EuroCar News on youTube Follow eurocarnews on Twitter